Monday 14 July 2008

DubCNN Interviews Wale

Wale Interview
Dubcnn: We've hooked up with Washington DC's own Wale, to start it introduce yourself to those out there who might not be familiar with you yet!

My name is Wale, I'm signed to Interscope through Allido Records. I'm trying to leave my mark on this rap game, I guess.

Dubcnn: The first time I heard about you was through Bun B, who mentioned you as one of his favorite new artists in an interview we did with him last year. How did you get connected with Bun?

Oh, a guy from MTV kind of introduced me to him, set it up and sometime last year, a couple months ago we hooked up and we've been talking ever since then, we talk on the phone everyday.

Dubcnn: Yeah he put me on to your movement, and it seems like a lot of heavyweights are co-signing you early on in your career, from Jay-Z to Kanye West to Lil Wayne to Mark Ronson. What's your secret?`

There's really no secret! I'm very meticulous towards my music and I feel like a lot of people who are like that are the ones you stay around longer, people who take their music seriously. That's pretty much the connection right there.

Dubcnn: Tell us about your youth in D.C., who were you listening to when you were coming up?

Everybody, Jay-Z obviously, Camp Lo, obviously every Go Go band that was out at the time, Nas, A Tribe Called Quest, Digable Planets. I have a very big list of people from different genres that I listened to.

Dubcnn: How would you compare the scene in D.C. compared to places like New York, Atlanta or Los Angeles?

It's not star struck at all. If someone famous walked in a wall you wouldn't see people all like "Oh did you see so and so walked in the mall!" It's very sombre, melancholic. It's home! It's like no one knows how to act towards the musicians, we don't have too many stars and you don't see too many stars around here.

Read the rest HERE

No comments: